Monday, March 16, 2009

three walls

three walls in Chicago creates a network/physical space for contemporary artists and discourse about art. Cool!

In general, I liked the site. Nothing too flashy, but for the relatively small organization it seems to be, it has it together. I like the wood beam over on the sidebar. I am filing the following info away for when I'm a CPS teacher: "In conjunction with Chicago Public Schools and CAPE (Chicago Arts Partnerships in Educations) threewalls organizes an annual 'thinktank' for CPS Teaching Artists...CPS Teaching Artists spend one week in a series of lectures, followed by studio time and group discussion, culminating in self-directed exhibition/presentation at threewalls at the end of the program." You mean we can be artists and teachers at the same time?

My biggest criticism of the site is its calendar. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on at threewalls, and they could convey that more effectively. One single calendar that incorporated openings, events, talks, and residencies all into one would have been more effective than the separate calendars. I'd recommend grid rather than list format. I also wish it gave more information about the presenters; often just their name and the date appeared, so I couldn't see at a glance what these people were about -- this would have been helpful.

2 comments:

  1. i got sooo excited to read about that thinktank program too - it has great connections for my thesis. but, with a nod to your comment about the calendar, they don't really tell us when the next thinktank program is occurring (frustrating!). oh, i too am a fan of the wood panel graphic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. as you mentioned, katie, they are a small organization, and so I think this type of hole in the website (lack of info) is pretty common. but they do great work, and have really championed the cause of artists/educators/activists the last few years. Stop by the space if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete