Tuesday, March 17, 2009

MCA

The Museum of Contemporary Art - Chicago is a great museum in person, but how well does its website match up? Hmmm. Let's see. The design is not inspiring aethetically...i.e. what's with all the white space on the homepage. I think it could be tighter, more square. I *really* like that no scrolling is required on the home page. Finally. The flash presentation of different things going on in those bottom three squares is helpful; I in fact found out about a stencil screen printing workshop that may be very useful to an arts integration project I'm working on at MAS. Cool. I think they overdo it a little bit by having items at the store flashing by as well: that's just plain distracting. And the top exhibition info should remain static (I know there are two exhibits going on, but maybe just have a different one randomly come up and then stay static).
The menu bar has good headings, but they all sort of run together. Finding info is easy enough -- the categories are clear, but the translucent drop down menus w/small text and distracting pictures are hard to read. They have a good selection of podcasts.

1 comment:

  1. The MCA site has drawn raves and pans from different people, but you seem to fall more in the middle, Katie. I agree there are pluses and minuses, and I think my perspective of the site is somewhat colored by its past incarnations (it used to be so lame!) but good points all around, especially in terms of the suggestions about their usage of flash.

    ReplyDelete