Monday, February 23, 2009

Art Ed. 2.0...social networking for art educators

First off, who knew that typography art was so popular? I found this video called "Typolution" on the site, and it is just like the sites we've been looking at for our project...I didn't know about this typography art niche, but now it seems like it's everywhere!

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize that this is a social networking site like facebook for art teachers, but once I got what it was all about and got "approved," it was pretty fun to peruse around. It's a good idea; more targeted social networking like this seems to serve a clearer purpose than the typical social networking sites, which can quickly become time-wasters. I like the photo and video galleries; if for no other reason, it is great just to scan through and get ideas. There are a lot of interesting discussion forums and blogs, from technology in art to classroom management to a "green" page with resources gathered by other art teachers -- I found a bunch of sites to bookmark for thesis research. This is a great site; it is already proving useful and should continue to be once we are art teachers...a particularly interesting artist I discovered is Chris Jordan, who does some pretty interesting work on mass consumerism (mostly photos).

I'd never heard about this "Ning" interface which allows the average joe to create a social network. I kind of like this since I feel like facebook is monopolizing the planet and becoming a surveillance threat...

No comments:

Post a Comment