Friday, January 30, 2009

a bit about me.

Perhaps you're wondering about my choice of URL. I'll start there: "froggyfille" has become a frequently used cyber-nickname of mine in recent years due to two of my interests, frogs and French ("fille" = girl en francais, by the way). I can't explain the frog thing, except that I think they're endearing little creatures, I loved drawing them when I was younger, and I now have amassed a large (enough) collection of non-living frog paraphenalia from friends. Never had a pet frog. Maybe someday. By now, most of you have heard the French thing...I majored in it, have studied/lived abroad, and worked at a bilingual school for the past number of years. French has thus become more than my second language; it is also a second persona of sorts.

I am excited to have finally made my debut on the blogosphere, to discuss all things art and education, two more things near and dear to my heart...and probably to yours too if you're reading this.

Here I'm cheating and quoting myself from an earlier posting for this class about what I'm looking for in this class: I look forward to having critical discussions about the possibilities and limitations of technology (in life and in the classroom) and how to use technology responsibly. I am interested in refining and expanding my own technology skill set for my own personal development and so that I can confidently teach. I think technology can be great in terms of helping kids who don't think they are artists ("I can't draw!") access their creativity through other forms like video, photography, web design, etc., so it definitely has a place in the art classroom.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. i couldn't agree with you more katie, about how kids can use technology to access the arts. tech has a cool factor it grants to everything it touches, and is a great entry point to the broader art world for kids and adults alike!

    i also find it interesting that you have a collection of non-living frog objects, but no live ones. take the plunge! from what i understand frogs are fairly low-maintenance. although unfortunately i don't think they learn tricks very well. :)

    ReplyDelete